Saturday, March 10, 2007

Basket Weaving Hippies

That's what my sister jokingly called my mum and myself when she heard we were attending a workshop run by Fabric of Life as part of the Adelaide Fringe Festival. My mother-in-law invited us and I am so glad I went.

The workshop was exhibiting the basket and sculptural weaving talents of the women from Ernabella Arts Inc and hail from the Pitjantjatjara Yankunytjatjara Lands in northern South Australia.

Despite the predictions for the weather being 37 deg C for the day, it was lovely in the Women's Memorial Garden on King William Street. We sat under the shade of some beautiful trees and observed and put into practice some weaving. The language barrier made actual verbal instruction impossible, but we seemed to learn by watching fairly well.





This is what I came up with over three hours, took longer than I expected to get this far:



Some of the Ernabella Arts Inc baskets:



All in all it was a lovely morning. We all took some supplies home to keep going with our projects, but I'm wondering if I might leave my piece, maybe just finish off by poking the grass in. I think it would look good framed...hmmm.

No comments: